CALENDAR | JUNE TO AUGUST
Summer is here! Below are some events that I thought might be of interest to you, your family and friends.
- June 12 – August 5: 70th Anniversary Summer Festival, Santa Barbara | Events include a 7,500 outdoor concert (July 31) featuring the entire New York Philharmonic conducted by Alan Gilbert, and a new production of the opera The Elixer of Love (July 27 & 29). Various Locations. (805) 969-8787; musicacademy.org.
- June 15-July 2: Beauty and the Beast, Solvang | The Pacific Conservatory for the Performing Arts production of this Broadway hit musical is based on the classic fairy tale. The unforgettable score includes “Be Our Guest”, “Belle”, and “Beauty and the Beast”. Solvang Festival Theatre. (805) 922-8313; pcpa.org.
- June 16, 23, 30: Downtown Summer Concert, Oxnard | A favorite summertime tradition in Oxnard. Enjoy a variety of music, including reggae, swing, country, and rock ‘n’ roll. Heritage Square. (805) 385-7545; visitoxnard.com.
- June 16-18: The Mothers Polish Classic Pismo Beach Classic Car Show, Pismo Beach | Classic cars and street rods, a car cruise, music, a charity auction, and vendors. Downtown. (909) 890-0082; theclassicatpismobeach.com.
- June 24: Ojai Valley Lavender Festival, Ojai |Fresh and dried flowers and herbs, handicraft and skincare items, aromatherapy, a lecture, art displays, entertainment, plus food and drink. Libbey Park. Ojaivalleylavenderfestival.org.
- June 24: Santa Barbara Food and Wine Festival | Featuring local food, and wine purveyors. Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. (805) 682-4711, ext. 112; sbnature.org.
- June 25: Seven Sisters Quilt Show, San Luis Obispo | A display of 300 quilts; shopping from 45 vendors; workshops with internationally acclaimed quilter, Jane Sassaman. Alex Madonna Expo Center. (805) 903-3769; sevensistersquiltshow.org.
- June 30-August 6: Kingsmen Shakespeare Festival, Thousand Oaks | A presentation of William Shakespeare’s Love’s Labour’s Lost. The play follows the antics of King Navarre and his four young companions who take an oath to devote themselves to study and fasting and to give up the company of woman. Kingsmen Park. (805) 493-3452; callutheran.edu.
- July 4: Conejo Pops Orchestra, Thousand Oaks | This concert in the park features patriotic and American music, patriotic games and crafts for the kids. Conejo Community Park; CRPD.org.
- July 4: Parade & Party In The Park, Westlake Village | Join the celebration! A flag ceremony, music, inflatables, old-fashioned games, food and free popsicles are included. Berniece Bennett Park . WLV.org.
- July 9, 16-August 6, 20: Summer Concerts In The Park, Agoura Hills | Multiple tribute events to U2 (July 9, includes fireworks), Jazz (July 16), the Who (August 6), and the Police (August 20). Concerts are free. Food for sale. Various Locations. (805) 969-8787; www.ci.agoura-hills.ca.us.
- July 15, 22, 29-August 12, 19: Music Under The Stars, Ventura | Get ready to dance Saturday nights this summer on a majestic outdoor ballroom floor. Listen to great bands performing irresistible sets of Rock, Swing,Salsa and Zydeco and tributes to The Who, Steely Dan, Motown, Joni Mitchell,Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman and Neil Diamond. Olivas Adobe. www.cityofventura.ca.gov.
- July 17: Hamid Cooper – Latin Jazz; Calabasas | Calabasas Lake hosts this outdoor concert series. Bring lawn chairs and blankets to enjoy these free concerts. Limited fixed seating available, first-come, first-served. Free. Calabasas Lake. www.cityofcalabasas.com/sunsets.html.
- July 29: Third Annual Summer Star Festival, Agoura Hills | This free event, co-hosted by the National Park Service, will begin with astronomy-themed music, followed by an introductory lecture and constellation tour by Hal Jandorf, astronomy professor at Moorpark College."[E]njoy the dark sky resource and actually see the Milky Way Galaxy from Los Angeles County!” said Robert Cromwell, park ranger for the National Park Service. Paramount Ranch, tinyurl.com/yadd2sys.